Friday, 11 June 2010

Beauty is but skin deep

8 June 2010

Sure. Honestly, it's something I subscribe to more and more as each year passes by. So does this tai-tai who was interviewed by the Straits Times and then the article was dominated by how she spent the entire day preparing for a gala event. And her daily routine goes like this: she wakes up at about 11am (and mind you, that's notwithstanding she has 2 young children attending primary school in the morning), goes to 'work' at the jewellery shop her husband owns for at most 2 hours, meet up with her customers at external venues (read: shopping, meals, afternoon tea, exchange gossips) but made it clear that she sees herself as a business woman and not a tai-tai. This woman is obviously in denial.

I have made a concerted effort to wear some form of make-up to work. Why ? Well, I was made to stare into a 'reality' mirror under bright lights yesterday when I on impulse, gave in to an enthusiastic young South African lady's request to apply mineral foundation powder on my face. All the undeniable signs of aging which the various beauty ads touted to be able to erase or reduce with their much researched miracle anti-spots/anti-wrinkle/whitening products were markedly visible. I figured I have a few quick make over options - wearing a mask, go under the laser or do a cover-up job with make-up. The decision was obvious although I do have quite a few superhero masks to choose from.

So this morning I asked my no. 1 beauty consultant, Peanut, how I looked. He is usually a lot more foregiving than my no. 2 beauty consultant - my spouse. When I need a dose of flattery, I go to Wati - she has the lowest standard. Sweet Potato? Oh, he has no views of his own, he is a 'contrarian'; meaning he will just adopt a view contrary to his gor-gor's.

Is mummy pretty? (Yes, blatant cheating ... hoping to get the answer I want)

No.

Why?

You have purple eyes.

Well, at least he didn't say 'panda eyes' ...

No comments:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers